Thursday, July 26, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23: Summary of Thoughts

Woo hoo: The last thing!! Didn't think I'd get here so soon. It has been quite an adventure: difficult and frustrating at times, but also fun, addicting, and interesting.
I think my favorite things that I learned during this experience were: creating the blog itself, flickr, rss feeds, Library Thing, and YouTube. These are all things I will definitely use again, and continue to use in the future. Things that I don't think I will have much use for are: Del.icio.us, Technorati, and Rollyo-although it was interesting to learn about what they are.This program has assisted me in my lifelong learning goals in many ways. I have learned about things out there on the internet that I had no idea existed. I now know how to use alot of these new, cool "things." I also have alot more confidence in performing many other skills on the computer that I wasn't very good at before, like copying and pasting urls from site to site. Going through this program has given me the confidence that I could go through another program online, and succeed at it. Maybe I'll decide to take a course or two online in the future.

As far as improving on this program, I think the content was very good, but almost too much to squeeze into 9 weeks. Starting out, we all had the impression that we would be able to finish each week's activity in 30 minutes to 1 hour a week. That turned out to be far from the truth-at least for me. I probably spent 1 hour or more on each thing-not on each week. And from what I've heard other people say, I think that is the going consensus. I ended up doing the majority of the work for my blog at home, mainly because there is not enough time to do it at work, and there have been bandwidth problems at work that made doing some of the exercises difficult. Therefore, I think the program could have easily run for 4-5 months.

If another program like this were offered in the future, I most likely would want to participate. It has really been a valuable learning experience, despite some of the frustrations and difficulties I had working by myself in a self-paced program. But I feel very accomplished, alot more knowledgeable of Web 2.0, and proud that I finished the program!

3 comments:

JimD said...

Wow. You really shot through the program quickly! Good for you. Now you can be on the lookout for others who might be having trouble.

I agree, it's a lot to forge through in 9 weeks. I think the program gives us a chance to become familiar with lots of things that we might not have taken time to learn otherwise. We might not all be experts but at least now we can come back with more than a blank look if someone mentions one of these things. I also think it was a good opportunity for us to learn how to learn in an online environment. That's not comfortable for a lot of us and it will be an important skill, I'm sure. Congratulations, again, on finishing the program!

inajam said...

TAG! YOUR IT! Take a look at my blog, in a jam, to see what it's about.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.